Hopes of a breakthrough between Tehran and Washington gained fresh momentum on Saturday, buoyed by the sustained diplomatic push of Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, who wrapped up a “short but highly productive” visit to the Islamic Republic.
During the visit, the Field Marshal held high-level engagements with Iranian leadership as part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement, amidst the regional tensions that have simmered after the ceasefire on 8th April, 2026, said a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).
The Field Marshal called on Iranian President Dr Masoud Pezeshkian, Speaker of the Parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
The discussions remained focused upon expediting the consultative process underway to support peace and stability in the region and to reach to a conclusive agreement, the statement said.
The engagements were held in a positive and constructive environment and contributed meaningfully towards the mediation process. The intensive negotiations over the last 24 hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding.
The Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan’s sincere and constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting peaceful settlement of regional issues.
Such was the significance attached to the visit that international media reports suggested that if the Field Marshal indeed travelled to Tehran, it would be the clearest indication yet of a potential breakthrough.
Then, on Friday, the moment Field Marshal Munir departed for Tehran, world capitals suddenly began buzzing with optimism.
An Al Jazeera English correspondent reporting from the Iranian capital described the Field Marshal’s visit as a “huge development” and a clear indication that a major diplomatic move was in the offing.
By the time the Field Marshal left Tehran, reports had already begun to emerge that the Pakistani military chief may have helped secure a deal that, until recently, had appeared increasingly difficult to achieve.
As of Saturday, the world was holding its breath or rather, beginning to exhale.
Significantly, in a post from the Oval Office, US President Donald Trump listed Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir by name alongside the Saudi Crown Prince, the UAE’s Mohammed bin Zayed, Qatar’s Emir, Turkey’s Erdogan, Egypt’s Sisi, and the kings of Jordan and Bahrain – world leaders whom he said had participated in a call from the Oval Office regarding Iran and the Memorandum of Understanding related to peace.
For Pakistan, the symbolism was extraordinary. The army chief of a nation of 240 million was being publicly named by the American president in the same breath as Gulf monarchs, NATO leaders and Arab kings, as an equal partner in one of the most consequential diplomatic efforts of the decade.
The message Field Marshal Munir carried to Tehran was one of continuity and commitment, that Pakistan’s role as mediator was not a short-term convenience but a sustained strategic investment. The visit helped stabilise the process at a moment when it was in danger of collapsing entirely, and set the terms for the weeks of diplomacy that would follow.
Trump, meanwhile, extended the ceasefire indefinitely. The window for a deal remained open, just barely.
Over the following weeks, Pakistan maintained its position as the indispensable channel between Washington and Tehran. Proposals and counter-proposals moved through Islamabad. Interior Minister Naqvi made repeated trips to Tehran to keep lines of communication open.
But it was Munir who remained the strategic anchor. The Field Marshal’s credibility with both sides, built through months of personal engagement, back-channel conversations, and the track record of having already delivered one ceasefire, meant that whenever the process threatened to break down, it was his involvement that steadied it.
By mid-May, reports were emerging of a fresh US proposal being relayed through Pakistani channels and speculation mounting that the pace of diplomacy was quickening. When Naqvi returned to Tehran yet again in the third week of May, Arab media outlets were reporting that a final announcement could come “within hours” and that a key Pakistani figure was expected in Tehran imminently.
That figure was Field Marshal Munir, returning to Tehran for the second time, but this time to close.
To understand why Munir’s presence in Tehran carried such decisive weight, one must understand what he represents to both parties in this negotiation.
For Iran, he is not simply a foreign military official paying courtesy calls. He is a figure who has spent months cultivating a relationship with Tehran, visiting in May 2025 alongside Prime Minister Sharif, maintaining contact through the war’s most dangerous weeks, and ensuring Iran that Pakistan would never allow its territory to be used against the Islamic Republic.
For Washington, Field Marshal Munir is the man with direct access to Trump. His June 2025 White House lunch, the first time a US president had received a Pakistani army chief unaccompanied by civilian leadership, established a personal channel that bypassed normal diplomatic protocols.
As Iran and the US are all set to sign an interim deal, Pakistan has pulled off a diplomatic milestone with a fewer precedence in the past. The architect of this unbelievable feat is certainly the army chief.Latest News, Breaking News & Top News Stories | The Express TribuneOur CorrespondentRead More