News

PM Shehbaz praises US-Iran ceasefire progress, military leadership in cabinet meeting

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday chaired an important meeting of the federal cabinet, where members applauded his arrival and were served sweets during the session.

The cabinet decided to observe a day of gratitude and appealed to the nation to offer prayers for the success of the ongoing negotiations. Members also applauded Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Field Marshal Asim Munir, whose efforts were praised by the prime minister, and extended congratulations to him and Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) Ishaq Dar.

PM Shehbaz said Pakistan’s stature on the global stage had been enhanced and commended the constructive role of Field Marshal Munir and DPM Ishaq Dar. He added that the first phase of the ceasefire had been successfully implemented and expressed confidence that the next round of talks on Friday would also be fruitful.

PM Shehbaz, early Wednesday morning, announced that Iran and the US “along with their allies have agreed to an immediate ceasefire everywhere, including Lebanon and elsewhere, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY”.

With the greatest humility, I am pleased to announce that the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States of America, along with their allies, have agreed to an immediate ceasefire everywhere including Lebanon and elsewhere, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.
I warmly welcome the…
— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) April 7, 2026

In a post on X, PM Shehbaz further invited the US and Iran’s “delegations to Islamabad on Friday, April 10, 2026, to further negotiate for a conclusive agreement to settle all disputes”.

He expressed hope that the Islamabad talks would prove to be an important milestone in achieving lasting peace, with further positive developments expected in the coming days.

PM Shehbaz further said, “Both parties have displayed remarkable wisdom and understanding and have remained constructively engaged in furthering the cause of peace and stability.”

US President Donald Trump agreed to the two-week ceasefire with less than two hours before his deadline for Tehran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz or face devastating attacks on its civilian infrastructure.

“A big day for World Peace! Iran wants it to happen, they’ve had enough! Likewise, so has everyone else!” he said in his post on Truth Social. “The United States of America will be helping with the traffic buildup in the Strait of Hormuz,” he added.

 Latest News, Breaking News & Top News Stories | The Express TribuneWeb DeskRead More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *