News

Trump’s stark warning: ‘Clock ticking’ for Iran

President Donald Trump on Sunday warned Iran that “there won’t be anything left of them” if Tehran does not quickly agree to a peace deal with the United States, as tensions in the region escalated following a drone strike that sparked a fire near a nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Washington has been locked in conflict with Tehran since major strikes on Iran began on February 28 and a ceasefire was later implemented in April. Since then, however, the US has struggled to make any progress toward ending a war that has shaken the Middle East and sent energy prices climbing.

Writing on his Truth Social platform, Trump said there would “be nothing left” of Iran if diplomacy failed. “For Iran, the clock is ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them,” Trump wrote. “TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

In an interview with journalist Barak Ravid Trump declined to give a specific deadline for the negotiations with Iran. “Trump told me he still thinks Iran wants a deal and said he is waiting for an updated Iranian proposal, one he said he hopes will be better than the last offer given several days ago,” Ravid posted on X.

On Sunday, Iranian media said the United States had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran’s proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war. The Fars news agency said Washington had presented a five-point list which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site operational.

Washington’s other conditions include refusal to pay any compensation or damages, demand for transfer of 400 kilograms of Iranian uranium to the United States, withholding the release of even 25% of Iran’s frozen assets, and conditioning any halt to the war on all fronts on the outcome of negotiations.

For its part, Iran’s key conditions include ending the war across all fronts, including in Lebanon, lifting sanctions, releasing frozen Iranian assets, compensating for war damage, and the “recognition of Iran’s sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz,” Fars said.

Earlier, the UAE defence ministry said three drones entered Emirati airspace from the western border direction and one struck an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant facility in the Al Dhafra region.

The impact triggered a fire that was later brought under control, with investigations now underway into the source of the attack, the ministry stated. Officials stressed that the plant itself remained secure and operational, and there was no impact on “radiation levels or the plant’s safety”.

The Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, located about 200 kilometres west of Abu Dhabi near the Saudi and Qatari borders, began operations in 2020 and supplies up to a quarter of the UAE’s electricity needs, according to its operator, Emirates Nuclear Energy Company.

The Abu Dhabi Media Office, as well as the Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO), the plant’s operator, said there was no structural damage and no casualties, confirming that precautionary measures were immediately implemented. They added that all units at the Barakah facility continued normal operations.

A Kepco official told South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency that the incident appeared to have occurred at supporting power infrastructure outside the core nuclear zone, and there was no indication of a direct strike on the nuclear plant itself. He said operations at one reactor were briefly suspended as a precaution.

The ministry said it was investigating the origin of the drones and did not attribute responsibility, but said further updates would follow once assessments were complete. Some Emirati officials, however, pointed to the possibility of involvement by “principal perpetrators or agents” operating through regional networks.

Anwar Gargash, a UAE presidential adviser, described the strike as a “dangerous escalation” and said it reflected a “dark scene” that violated international norms and endangered civilian infrastructure. He warned that such attacks amounted to a disregard for human life and regional stability.

The UAE foreign ministry termed the incident an “unprovoked terrorist attack”, saying the country would not tolerate any threat to its sovereignty or security. It described the incident as “a dangerous escalation and an unacceptable act of aggression” and pledged to take all necessary measures to protect national interests.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) also issued a warning, with Director General Rafael Grossi expressing “grave concern” and stressing that military activity near nuclear facilities was unacceptable. The IAEA called for maximum restraint, underscoring risks to nuclear safety in conflict-affected regions.

While no party has claimed responsibility, references by Emirati officials to indirect actors come amid long-standing regional tensions involving Iran and supporting groups in Iraq and Yemen. These groups have previously been linked to drone and missile capabilities across the Gulf region.

Saudi Arabia also condemned the attack, calling it a threat to regional stability and expressing solidarity with the UAE. It pledged support for measures taken by Abu Dhabi to safeguard sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Meanwhile, Britain has deployed a new low-cost missile system to the Middle East in a move aimed at strengthening protection against drone attacks targeting “UK forces, citizens and regional partners,” the Defence Ministry in London said in a statement.

The Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) has now been fitted to RAF Typhoon fighter jets operating in the region, allowing the aircraft to destroy drones and other threats at “a fraction of the price” of the missiles currently in use.

 

 

 

 

 Latest News, Breaking News & Top News Stories | The Express TribuneagenciesRead More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *